Winter can be a very demanding season, especially in terms of energy consumption. Fortunately, there are many tricks to minimizing the impact of the colder season on your energy bills. In this article, Windows by Toll, a reputable provider of replacement windows, shares tips on how you can harness passive heating during the colder months.
Start With the Basics
It doesn’t take much to ensure you’ll be able to use passive heating in winter. Here are some basic to-do’s:
- Check for Leaks – Often, the surest way to detect leaks is having a professional inspect your roofing, windows, and other areas in your home where leaks could potentially occur. You can also do visual checks yourself. Make sure to pay attention to water faucets, window and door frames, and the areas where the foundation and the bottom of the siding meet. Also, take a look at your air conditioners, vents and attic openings.
- Fix the Leaks – Of course, once you detect leaks, it’s important to have them sealed immediately. For instance, you can use caulk or weatherstripping to seal leaky windows and doors. If there are issues that you suspect are beyond repair, replacing windows and doors may be the best option.
- Manage Your Thermostat – Sometimes the solution can be as simple as turning your thermostat down. If you want to avoid fussing with your thermostat every now and then, a programmable thermostat would be convenient to have.
Invest in Long-Term Solutions
Look into the areas of your home where you can apply long-term solutions. This way, you won’t have to worry so much about indoor comfort and energy savings every time winter begins.
- Determine Optimal Window Placement – South-facing windows are usually advantageous during winter, and they’re often considered the best choice.
- Install Energy-Efficient Windows – Certain windows are made for particular types of climate, so you should consider those that perform well in the weather conditions typical to your region.
- Ensure Proper Insulation – Check if your attic or walls have insulation. Heat loss often occurs in the attic, so you should pay special attention to it.
With our team’s expertise, you can count on Windows by Toll to help you find the right replacement doors and windows for your home. Our product offerings include only quality products, assuring you of value for your money. Call us at (203) 580-9945 or fill out our contact form to request an estimate.